Who are we?
"We are Public Health Inspectors, members of the Primary Health Care Team approach, who are functioning under the Environmental Health Division of the Ministry of Health. Our role in preventative medicine as it relates to the environment resulted in a mission statement which clearly states that our roles include being committed to monitor, regulate, improve, maintain and adequately safeguard the public health and environmental health of Trinidad and Tobago sustained effective public health and environmental health services."
What do we do?
"Public Health Inspectors perform many functions on a daily basis. Our main responsibilities are:
- Monitoring of environmental conditions to identify and control risks to human health
- Investigation of public health complaints and abatement of nuisances
- Monitoring of wastewater treatment and disposal systems
- Monitoring of drainage systems
- Monitoring solid and liquid waste management and disposal systems
- Inspection of schools, homes for the aged, health centers, hospitals and other residential care facilities.
- Inspection of factories, workshops, garages, public buildings and other commercial establishments
- Inspection of hotels and guest-houses
- Inspection, monitoring and registration of food establishments
- Conducting lectures on public health matters to various groups including food handlers
- Registration of food handlers
- Inspection of building plans and layouts to ensure compliance with public health requirements
- Monitoring and sampling of water supplies
- Inspection of meat at abattoirs
- Inspection of containerized cargo (foods) at ports, and/or premises of importer
- Surveillance at ports to prevent the introduction and exportation of disease and vectors
- Indentification and control of disease vectors in the general environment
- Collaboration with other agencies to address environmental/public health issues
- Enforcement of public health laws, regulations and bye-laws"
Who can access our services?
"The general public including members of other private and public organizations"
How can one access our services?
Our services can be accessed through the following: